Student FAQs

Join SCAI staff for tips on managing Academic Integrity in the classroom via CTL Webinar. Details and registration here.

No. You have three (3) business days to think about whether you wish to accept the sanction proposed by the instructor. If you choose to decline the settlement, the case moves to a hearing. This allows you to explain your side of the story to an impartial panel.
No. Any grade assigned due to an academic integrity violation cannot be replaced. However, you may retake the course (if applicable). Both grades will average into your GPA, but your transcript will only show the second grade earned.
No. You may consult with or bring your lawyer to the hearing to act as an advisor, but they are only allowed to consult with you and may not address other present individuals.

*Please note Representative rights apply to violations of the Code of Student Responsibility (as outlined in University Policy 406), and differ from the Code of Student Academic Integrity (University Policy 407). 
Suspension and Expulsion are rare occurrences and are only considered for the most severe cases. Ultimately it is up to the panel to determine what sanction (if any) should be imposed. Their decision is based on the evidence and the testimonies made by you and the instructor during the hearing.
Yes. A Student who wishes to appeal the outcome of a Formal Resolution must submit a written brief in support of the appeal to the Director of Student Conduct & Academic Integrity within five business days after the Notice of Outcome. 

Grounds for appeal at any level of review are limited to:

  1. violation of due process;
  2. material procedural error;
  3. sanctions inconsistent with charge. 

It is not the purpose of the appeal process to provide for a new hearing at a higher administrative level. 

All evidence can be reviewed in Student Conduct & Academic Integrity's office prior to the hearing. You have five-business days to review all evidence, meet with a SCAI staff member, or send any questions you have to